Friday, August 10, 2018

My Experience with the Global Wrestling Network - Intro and TNA PPV's 1-10

I recently bit the bullet and decided to sign up for the Global Wrestling Network.  I was never able to watch TNA until they went to Fox Sports in 2004 and then Spike in 2005. By 2007 I didn't particularly care to watch TNA, aside from a few hyped matches, and their 2012 PPV run.  I always used to hear great things about their 2002-04 PPV run from the Asylum. I picked up the first ten on VHS in 2004 or so, but never saw anything else other than what they put out on DVD.  So, when GWN announced the complete run of the Asylum PPV shows, I knew I was going to check it out sooner or later.

I opted for "later" until GWN was on Roku, to go with my other wrestling apps. That was my first mistake. The Roku app doesn't fucking work. I open it, go to sign in to my account and the app closes. I emailed their support about it, and haven't heard back yet. But, someone posted a screen cap on FB saying that they're aware that the app "has issues" and are "constantly" working on it.  So, I apparently didn't wait until "later" enough.  So, since I'd already signed up, I installed it on my Xbox, which I could have done months ago.

The idea for this is something akin to my friend Bob Colling's ongoing series where he watches monthly blocks of CWA TV. But, instead of recapping monthly, this is going to be on a show by show basis, although only actual shows. The X-Divison special and One Cent PPV's will not be included. And, it's more about what I think of them, rather than what happens.  I'm starting from PPV #11, since I don't especially feel like rewatching the first 10. But, I'll give a brief listing of things I recall from them.

- I love the continuity of using the statue from the old CWA/USWA TV opening, before having it explode and going into the intro proper. A nice throwback to the old promotion, but showing that TNA is wrestling in the 21st Century. Remember I said that, because there isn't much more that's going to be positive.

- The first PPV opens with Jeff Jarrett saying the Battle Royal concept sucks, and babyfaces Scott Hall and Ken Shamrock agreeing that it sucks. Way to put over your own match!

- Fuck everyone and anyone who had anything to do with this Toby Keith bullshit!

- Gimmicks like The Johnsons, The Rainbow Express, and the Flying Elvises. Russo's fingerprints are already present!

- Cheex. Sounds like more of Russo's nonsense.

- Bruce as Miss TNA.  Alan Funk is a team player, that's all I can say.

- The Dupp Cupp is stupid, but it's harmless fun.

- Ed Ferrara can go take a flying leap. Don West sounds like the second coming of JR next to him.

- What was the point of this whole Ryan Shamrock angle?

- Ron Killings took the ball and ran with it.  I had no issue with Shamrock as champion, but putting it on Killings was the right move!

- Jerry Lynn and AJ Styles as tag partners and then feuding over the X-Division Title is more of Russo's trademark stuff, tag partners who can't get along. But I like their feud.

- Jerry Lynn's entrance music is awful. After an entire career using quasi-death metal tracks, they give him this generic country/R&B type of music that doesn't suit him at all.

- Brian Lawler should have dropped everything do do with Grandmaster Sexay and gone back to being "Too Sexy" Brian Christopher.

- Sonny Siaki's first singles match after establishing his over the top character involves him putting over Slash. I love Wolfie D and I dig the Slash character, but there wasn't anyone else to job to him?

- The Nashville crowd loves Athena!

No comments:

Post a Comment